If you have ever been the unfortunate victim of water damage, you know just how devastating the experience can be. If you are lucky enough to have never experienced the damaging effects of water, be thankful. While water damage can be dealt with and homes restored, personal items, such as photos, are often times lost forever. This is why it is important to do everything in your power to protect your home.
Home Improvement Tips to Help You Avoid Water Damage
- Windows and Doors: Check windows and doors for signs of leaks, especially near the corners. Warning signs include: peeling paint, discoloration, and the swelling of the window or doorframe. If you notice any of these warning signs, act quickly to diagnose and correct the issue.
- Attic: Perform a visual inspection of your attic, looking for discoloration or other signs of water intrusion. Leaks are especially common around attic vents. Locate the source of the leak and measure its location from the nearest outside wall. Then inspect this area of your roof for damage. However, it is important to remember that water may run along the attic rafters or trusses for quite a distance before coming through the ceiling. For this reason, it is often difficult for the average homeowner to locate the source of a leak.
- Roof: Inspect your roof for damage, such as missing or damaged shingles. If you notice any issues, repair or replace shingles as soon as possible. When shingles are damaged or missing, your roof is left vulnerable.
- Foundation: Examine your foundation, looking for any cracks or holes. Fill all cracks with sealant.
- Plumbing: Examine plumbing for any signs of leaking.
If, despite your best efforts, you experience some form of water intrusion, whether it is a broken pipe, leaky roof, etc., it is important to call a professional water extraction and water damage restoration company, like ServiceMaster of Lincoln Park Chicago. The quicker you act, the more likely we will be able to minimize water damage.
Call 773-346-6767 for Emergency Restoration!
Water damage can be extremely difficult to deal with. Let the Chicago water damage restoration professionals at ServiceMaster Chicago help you. With over 57 years of experience, we have the experience and the equipment to get the job done right!
We promise to have a technician at your home within hours of your initial call, no matter the time of day.