The longer water damage lingers, the more long-term problems it can cause for your home. Mold growth and structural damage can occur if you do not address water damage immediately. You may also suffer more aesthetic deterioration the longer you wait to repair the water damage.
An immediate water damage fix can save you money and hassles down the road. Call someone to deal with the problem as soon as you can.
What Happens When Flood Damage Is Not Fixed Right Away?
Water damage can happen quickly. Just a few minutes of flooding can begin to take a toll on your property, and the problems go way beyond aesthetics. Immediate water damage can include:
- Peeling paint and wallpaper
- Water stains on walls
- Damaged carpet
- Warped floors
A water damage restoration company can address these problems fairly quickly, but long-term issues can arise if the water sits idle for a greater length of time.
What Are the Biggest Problems That Can Arise From Water Damage?
If you do not fix flood damage immediately, you will most likely face many pressing issues, such as:
- Mold Growth: Mold forms in the presence of moisture. When floors, walls, furniture, carpet and other things in your home become damp and do not dry, mold grows on them. Once the mold has formed, it can be difficult to get rid of. Often, you will have to remove the carpet, pieces of the wall or other things with mold. Plus, mold doesn't just look ugly — it can also cause breathing problems for those in the house.
- Structural Problems: Water can compromise the structural integrity of the house, too. Wood structural elements can swell, warp and begin to splinter. Materials used to build walls — including drywall and also sturdier materials — will warp and begin to crumble.
- Bad Smells: Water damage amplifies any odors in your home and causes them to spread throughout the house. Mold can also make these smells worse than they were.
- Fabric Dyes Spread: If your carpet or furniture have fabric dyes, they will bleed and stain other things around them. Furniture sitting on a wet floor may stain the carpet, as well, as water leaches into the bottom.
- Allergen Sensitivity Increases: If anyone in your home has asthma or allergies, they may experience worsening symptoms with exposure to the fungi and other allergens.
When you let water damage sit without fixing it, it becomes worse — and the worse your problems are, the more expensive they will be to repair. This is why you should call a water damage restoration company as soon as possible if you discover flooding in your home. They can begin the excess water removal and drying process, which will reduce the chances of serious issues.
Has flooding damaged your home? Contact ServiceMaster of Lincoln Park to get immediate assistance with your water damage and fix the issues fast. Call us at (773) 346-6767 or contact us online.